Monday, January 14, 2013

Date Nut Pinwheels

I collect a lot of cookbooks, and hands down one of the best, is the Betty Crocker Cooky Book. It was a blow to learn at a young age, that Betty Crocker did not exist. Apparently, General Mills (before it was General Mills) used to receive a lot of baking questions. To answer them they decided to have a "Dear Abby" type of response with a face to relate to: Betty. Either way, the Cooky Book was published in 1963 and the recipes have the old mother made feel to them, which I love. The cookies in this book take some love and care, unlike todays 5 minute mix and bakes.



My family used this book for every Christmas up until last year when my dad accidentally lost it at the grocery store while picking up supplies (not bitter). Luckily at the CIA we had a copy in the library and I copied down my favorites. 

The Cooky we make every year without fail are Caramel Refrigerator Cookies (Date Nut Pinwheels)- which was the best Cooky of 1940-1945.




For the dough :


1 cup shortening (or butter)2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla (not part of original recipe, I added, because I like the vanilla flavor)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
4 cup flour
3 eggs ( well beaten)

Cream together shortening, brown sugar, vanilla, then add salt, baking soda and flour, add well beaten eggs, and mix well. You may need to add more flour.

For the filling:



2 1/4 cup chopped dates1 cup water1 cup sugar1 cup pecans chopped






Add all ingredients to pan and cook the dates have softened. You'll smell the delicious caramel smell when it's about right. If you over cook the sugar will burn, so be sure to stir often. Cool before using.

Chill dough well. Overnight or so at least. divide dough, And on a lightly floured surface or if you prefer , which I do , roll between 2 layers of wax paper or plastic wrap, maybe 1/4" thick. Roll out one part at a time keep the other part chilling . Spread a thin to moderate layer of filling on dough then roll up in a log. Put the log in wax paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate. Repeat this process until all used up.



Slice thin and bake at 350 until done about 15 minutes, when the cookie is a light golden brown. Depending on your oven you may have to adjust your temperature up or down.

makes around 10 dozen

The rolls can be stored in the refrigerate for up to a week. You can also wrap them up and store in freezer. 






YUM!




2 comments:

  1. These are without a doubt, the best date and nut pinwheel cookies! I have been making then since the late '60s following the recipe as given except that I add about 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts to the dough. they are always included in my give-away cookie trays at Christmas and never fail to get rave reviews. My book is packed away in a moving box right now so I was happy to see that you have the same book and included the recipe. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! I often misplace my book so I posted it so I would always have it =)

      Delete