Thursday, April 19, 2012

Butterbeer Cookies

Hello. My name is Maggie. I’m here, writing this blog, because I love to bake. Not only do I love to bake, but I actually have chosen my favorite hobby as my career path as well. I graduated last fall from the Culinary Institute of America, and after taking a little break I dove into a new job in hotel management. While I love my current job, it offers me no opportunities bake or create tasty food and treats for people. So, to keep myself from missing my baking world too much I decided to start this blog. I decided to start this blog by combining one of my favorite baked goods with my other true love, Harry Potter. This wonderful combo leads me to my first recipe, Butterbeer Cookies.

When I graduated from college, my parents surprised me with a trip to Orlando to Harry Potter World. I wish I could put into words how amazing this trip was; it was like being home amongst all my fellow Harry Potter nerdlings. I could wear my Gryffindor outfit (robe included), carry a wand, and not feel a little crazy. We went in January, and it wasn’t that crowded so I got to ride each ride a few times and have multiple Butterbeers. The drink itself is like a cream soda, but with something extra. It has foam on top that reminds me of what an egg cream soda probably would taste like. These cookies are very easy to make, and transport me back to Hogwarts whenever I make them =)


Butterbeer Sugar Cookies 
From the wonderful Bridget at Bake at 350

3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar (packed)
2 sticks butter
1 egg
1 tsp butter flavoring
3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract

First things first, preheat your oven to 350.
Whisk the flour, baking powder, set aside.
Cream the sugar and butter.
Add the egg, butter flavoring, and vanilla; mix until well-blended.
Gradually add the flour mixture and beat just until combined, scraping down the bowl, especially the bottom. The dough will be quite thick (see below)...you may need to knead in stray bits of flour from the bottom of the bowl by hand.


Roll on a floured surface to about 1/4" and cut into shapes. Place on parchment lined baking sheets and bake for 9-12 minutes, depending on the size of your cutter. Let sit a few minutes on the sheet, then transfer to a cooling rack. These cookies may also be rolled into 1 inch balls if you prefer. They are similar to shortbread in the way that they won’t spread much.

Butterbeer Glaze 
(This will cover 12 cookies)

2/3 cup butterscotch chips
1/8 cup evaporated milk
1 TBSP light corn syrup
Pinch coarse salt

Place all of the ingredients in a glass or metal bowl and heat over a pot of simmering water (or a double boiler). If you're lucky enough like me, you can use a butter warmer.



Yes, a butter warmer. I didn't know these existed

Thank god for Paula Deen.



 Stir occasionally, until melted and smooth.



 Put the cooled cookies on a wire rack on a baking sheet. Pour the glaze over the cookies and spread with an offset spatula.



Then, devour while curled up with a good HP book =)

Hope you enjoyed the first post!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment