Sunday, April 22, 2012

Bakers Backup: Raspberry Bars

When I was writing my honors thesis in college, I wondered often if baking from scratch really meant something different than baking a boxed mix. Did it mean that the person who baked it for you liked you less? Did it mean the quality was going to be horrendously worse?

Probably not.

One time, in a cakes class at school, my chef was teaching us a chocolate cake recipe. She told us it was her favorite chocolate cake recipe she makes, but that her family still always asks her for Duncan Hines chocolate boxed cake mix instead. She made them the box mix, but then added her own touches and decorations. I think as long as you put in the same effort and love into what you make, the product can be irrelevant. For that reason I don't mind using the occasional boxed mixes*.

I want to do a regularly scheduled post where I try different mixes and give them a rating, hopefully so others can save some time or money on picking the best kinds of boxed mixes to use. Like? Dislike? Let me know.

The first mix I thought I'd share here is Krusteaz Raspberry Bars. I really hate their name, but think they are one of the best box mix companies. Krusteaz describes them as "The perfect easy-to-make, easy-to-serve treat. Premium raspberry filling layered between a crunchy crust made with real almonds and topped with brown sugar, almonds, and rolled oats."



This recipe is simple; it calls for one box and one stick of butter.

Preheat oven to 350°F
Prepare 8x8x2-inch pan by lightly greasing or coating with non-stick cooking spray.
Stir melted butter or margarine and full pouch crust mix together with a fork until mixture is crumbly.
Spoon 2/3 of crust mixture (about 1 1/2 cups loosely packed) into prepared pan. Press firmly into bottom of pan.



Bake 15 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
Spread full pouch raspberry filling evenly over hot crust. 



Crumble remaining crust mixture over filling.



Bake an additional 26-28 minutes or until bubbly around edges. Cool completely before cutting. Makes 16 bars. (I found that the crisper, the better!)

One great thing about Krusteaz is that the website is great at marketing their product, it has variations you can create with the mix and tips for baking as a double batch.

I debate with you now how to score these. If I am scoring against the real, from scratch product I would pick from scratch (preferably from Cakewalk Bakery and Cafe). If I were to score against other boxed mixes, I would say a 4 out of 5. All in all, I think these are a great bar if you're in a pinch. I recommend adding chopped nuts or chocolate chips for a special addition.




*Disclaimer: I will never ever eat or rate these cookies , because they make me want to vomit.

No comments:

Post a Comment