Sunday, June 10, 2012

Biscoff Shortbread Cookies

Do you remember the first time you had Nutella? I was in Switzerland with my host family, and I think they thought I was crazy because I loved it so much. I thought I was in heaven.
Well, now I've met my new love, and that loves name is Biscoff cookie spread. If you've ever flown Delta you've probably seen these little cookies that they pass out with sodas. I love them and always steal my family's when we fly together. I did not know though that these little cookies have been crushed up into an amazing spread called Biscoff Spread! I wish I could explain how good this cookie butter is via blog...but you just need to go buy a jar for yourself. Actually buy two jars, you'll eat the first and then want more for baking.  Apparently the spread was invented in 2007 during a Belgian reality TV show. I wish I had known about it since 2007. This might be a cause to buy more to make up for lost time =)



Either way, the spread is perfect for baking. It's the same consistency as peanut butter so you can use is any way you'd like. I was looking for peanut butter cookie recipes as a base, and ended up changing the whole recipe. In the end, I ended up with these heavenly Biscoff short bread cookies. I feel a little ironic using cookie butter to make cookies, but my stomach cares not.


Prep time: 45 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 55 mins
Serves: Makes 2-4 dozen
For the Cookies:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup Biscoff cookie butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

P.S This was my first cookie I made in my new Kitchen Aid! Hooray for Biscoffs!

Anyways, first things first, in a medium bowl add the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt, and baking soda together. Whisk together thoroughly to combine and aerate. Set aside.
In your mixer, cream the butters together with the sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and mix again.
With the mixer on slow, add the flour mixture a little bit at a time until the dough is fully combined. Make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl often.
Refrigerate the dough for at least half an hour.

When the dough is thoroughly chilled, preheat the oven to 350F. You now have to options. I found the dough to be very dry so rolling was hard for me. So I used a tablespoon and formed them all into half circles like so.

You can othrwise lightly flour a large surface and roll out the dough to 1/4″ thick as best you can. Using a small biscuit or cookie cutter of your preference, cut as many cookies as you can out of the rolled out dough.Combine the leftover dough into a ball again, and roll out again. Only do this once, as reworking the dough too many times will result in tough cookies.
Bake cookies for roughly 9-10 minutes. Watch the oven very closely after the 7 minute mark. Because of the thinness and high sugar content, the cookies are a lot like caramel and can go from perfect to burnt in a flash.
Once these come out of the oven, you can enjoy as is, or if you're craving more cookie butter (who wouldn't be) you can spread a little on top while the cookies are hot, creating a kind of glaze once they cool. If you use a cutter, you can also make some delicious sandwhich cookies!



Biscoff.com also has a ton a products if you're craving more cookies. Soon this set will be arriving at my door...mmmm Biscoff waffles....Once I invest in an ice cream maker, Biscoff ice cream will sit upon these waffles and I will probably die from the amazingness of it all.

0825: WAFFLES AND BISCOFF SPREAD GIFT SET

No comments:

Post a Comment