Thursday, March 6, 2014

Baby Steps: Cookie Decorating 101

I have a huge, HUGE girl crush on many cookie bakers these days. Whether it’s Jill FCS, Bridget, or Arty McGoo, I droll in jealously every time they post new cookies. I never had the time to really try to learn to make awesome cookies like them, but now I do and I’m getting back in my #workflow (hashtag necessary) and learning how to do this. I started today by making the base, with Bridget’s cookie recipe. They were super easy to make and they taste great. Step one = great success!

Perfect Every Time Cut-Out Cookies, From Bridget at Bake at 350.

3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 c sugar
2 sticks (salted) butter, cold & cut into chunks
1 egg
3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp pure almond extract

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine the flour and baking powder, set aside. Cream the sugar and butter. Add the egg and extracts and mix. Gradually add the flour mixture and beat just until combined, scraping down the bowl, especially the bottom.

The dough will be crumbly, so knead it together with your hands as you scoop it out of the bowl for rolling.






Roll on a floured surface to about 1/4" to 3/8" thick, and cut into shapes. Place on parchment lined baking sheets (I recommend freezing the cut out shapes on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before baking) and bake for 10-12 minutes. Let sit a few minutes on the sheet, and then transfer to a cooling rack.




Once I rolled them twice, I used the scraps to make chocolate chip minis =) I may have over chocolated them, but they taste JUST like cookie dough. Try it, thank me later.




No comments:

Post a Comment